Tuesday, May 29, 2012

NEW TREATMENT OPTIONS

Well, we just pulled in from M D Anderson, and we are not particularly happy with the news we got from Dr. Phan. The biopsy shows the lymph node in Judy's neck is positive for Neuroendocrine Carcinoma. We hoped for a negative result, but if it had to be cancer, we are glad it is at least the same kind we already have. But, the progression of the cancer indicates that the current treatment is no longer effective. We will need to add another element to our treatment regimin. Now. here's where our choice of treatment alternatives becomes tricky. The best choice for an addition to the Sandostaten shot is a drug called Everolimus. It has been effective in about 5% of the patients who are on it (that in itself, is disapointing to us). Even at that, the drug has not been approved for Carcinoma. So, there is a 50/50 chance that Medicare will not approve payment for the perscription. The cost is $30,000.00 per month. So, if Medicare dosen't cover it, we certainly can't afford that. Another possibility is to take a drug called Interfuron. The results are not much better, but the side effects are much more severe, causing fatigue, constant flu-like symptoms, and a good possibility of causing Judy to become a diabetic. Finally, there are a couple of Clinical Trials using the Everolimus drug, but the one has half the participants on the drug and the other half on a placebo. The other two trials are just in Phase 1 or 2, which means they have very little data to start with. Additionally, the trials will be administered at MDA, and will mean going to Houston every 2 to 3 weeks. Our prayer is that Medicare will approve the Everolimus, and we can start that treatment right away, here in Dallas. Please pray with us to that end. If God has a different idea, we are ready to follow, no matter where it may take us. His way is always the best way. Your Brother and Sister in Christ, Ronnie and Judy

9 comments:

  1. Sorry about the typing...it's late.

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love yall so much! we are praying for Judy everyday. If there is anything we can do please let us know.

    Suzanne, Bart & Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you and love your faith through this journey. Praying for your path to be clear and that you will take it with faith knowing He is on it with you.
    Tosha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for God's direction and provision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about the "bad" news. Judy is a fighter and this cancer hasn't won. I have a friend who's husband has metastatic cancer and is on an experimental chemo made from the saliva/spit of mice. He has lived a year past his prognosis. I will get the name of the treatment. It might be one to use for Judy. continuing to pray for both of you. God is in control now and forever. Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ronnie: We will continue praying with you all in this journey.

    Judy: What I have respected and loved about you, "my friend," is that your glass has continued to be half full during this journey. You use what most would consider a "trial" as a divine appointment from God to point all of us to the place we need to be at...the Cross. You are by far the richest woman I know because you absolutely have the love of a Savior who is using you to draw others closer to Him. How amazing it is to bring honor and glory to such an awesome God! My friend, I know you would never want this journey to be about you, but your testimony is truly astounding to me. I am reminded that through this divine appointment, God is giving me (actually all of us) a tremendous opportunity to share the gospel through the sharing of your journey. I am reminded time and time again (especially by you) that the bigger picture here is eternity and who will be there. I love you all!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Rawls family ~

    I, too, am sorry for the somewhat disappointing news. For the life of me, I'll never understand how potentially life-saving drugs can be denied by an insurer and/or the government...but that's a whole other issue!!!

    What I can understand is the faith and trust with which you walk. I saw my Mom walk the strongest walk of her life as she endured 14 years of scans, tests, and 7 1/2 years of continuous chemotherapy. Your strength, Judy, reminds me so much hers. Even in the midst of normal human emotions (fear, anger, etc.), I sense the peace that only He can provide. I pray for that peace for your entire family.

    You have blessed many people with your kindness and love, Judy...me, included. I am praying for the perfect treatment to be available to you, and that you can tolerate it! But mainly, I'm praying for a complete & miraculous healing!!!Cherish every moment...they are precious!!

    All my love to the entire family!!

    Rhonda Walker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy and Ronnie.. Joanie and I are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm praying for peace as you try to digest this news. I will also pray for God's will, as he knows best for all of us. Thank you for continuing to keep us updated. Your faith is an inspiration to me as it is to so many others.

    Much love,
    Janna

    ReplyDelete